Trump Administration Revokes Visas for Palestinian Delegates Ahead of UNGA

The administration of US President Donald Trump has announced a decision to deny and revoke visas for members of the Palestinian Authority (PA) and the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) ahead of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in September.
According to Al Jazeera, the US State Department said the move was in line with its national security interests and accused the Palestinian leadership of “undermining peace” and bypassing negotiations through international courts.
The statement referenced the Hamas-led attack on southern Israel on 7th October 2023 and insisted that Palestinian representatives must “consistently repudiate terrorism.”
It added that only limited waivers would be granted for the Palestinian mission to the UN, currently led by Ambassador Riyad Mansour.
Reacting, the Palestinian Authority presidency expressed “deep regret and astonishment” through the Wafa news agency, urging Washington to reverse the decision and reaffirming its commitment to international law and UN resolutions.
Speaking to reporters, Ambassador Mansour confirmed President Mahmoud Abbas intended to attend the UNGA, including a scheduled September 22 session on Palestinian rights, but said it was unclear how the decision would affect the delegation.
Observers noted that the move could spark controversy, as the US, as host of the UN, is required under international agreements to facilitate entry for official delegates.
Analysts recalled that the US previously denied visas to PLO chairman Yasser Arafat in 1988 and Sudanese leader Omar al-Bashir in 2013, though both cases triggered significant backlash.
The latest move comes as tensions continue to rise in the Middle East amid Israel’s war in Gaza.