Vice-President Kashim Shettima on Thursday chaired the National Economic Council (NEC) meeting at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, where governors received updates on the country’s battle against the Type-2 variant of polio.
TIMES OF NIGERIA gathered that the Governor of Gombe State, Inuwa Yahaya, who briefed State House correspondents, said Nigeria had reduced new cases from 78 in 2024 to 42 as of August 2025.
“The committee was set up to stop the circulation of the new variant,” Yahaya said.
“The progress so far shows a downward trend. Kano and Katsina, in particular, have recorded 85% and 84% reductions respectively, while Gombe has no case at all this year.”
However, Yahaya warned that Sokoto remained at high risk. “Out of the 23 cases recorded in 2025, Sokoto alone has 13. We will strategise with the state government to strengthen coverage and ensure routine immunisation reaches every community,” he said.
Other attendees at the NEC meeting included Kwara State Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazak, Imo State Governor Hope Uzodimma, as well as governors of Zamfara, Jigawa, Lagos, Anambra, Akwa Ibom, Cross River, Benue, Ondo and the Rivers State Sole Administrator.